After the winter season in Chamonix we are both in need of a recharge of the old batteries. This year we headed East to Borneo.
- Flew in to Kutchin and stayed a couple of nights to get orientation – brilliant free museums which give a flavour of the country and history
- Bako National Park – a bus ride and then a small boat to reach the HQ where there are proboscis monkeys and bearded pigs – simple food and basic accommodation – night walks guided to see nocturnal animals in the jungle
- Kutchin for a night before heading to Sibu by boat
- Sibu – nice town on a river – street art and market (which most of the towns have) – bus to Miri
- Miri for a couple of nights to stay with a friend and arrange travel plans heading on
- Flew Miri to Mulu National Park – twin otter, 19 seater plane – brilliant accommodation and food with night walks, self guided walks and we took a guided trip to the pinnacles – caves to visit including Deer Cave where you can watch the bat exodus (3 million bats exit the cave in the evening) – pinnacles is a boat up river, hike 9km to camp 5, climb the next day and back to camp 5, hike and boat out
- Miri for a night to wash clothes
- Flew Miri to Bario via Marudi – twin otter – there are direct flights but if booked look for a Marudi flight and connection
- Bario – famous for salt, pineapples and rice – stayed in an amazing longhouse with a super interesting Kelabit family – walking and exploring – great food and fascinating culture and history
- Kota Kinabalu via Miri – KK for a couple of nights to get sorted with a slot to climb Mount Kinabalu – managed to get a 2 day 1 night slot with a private guide – left excess kit at Park HQ and hiked to the Pendant Hut, stayed there and then up to summit of Low’s Peak for sunrise, back to the hut for breakfast and hiked out the same day
- Ranau – not a nice place and not recommended as somewhere to stay but we didn’t feel like travelling further – caught a bus next morning to Sandakan
- Sandakan for a couple of nights – used as a base to visit the war memorial and POW camp plus visit the Orang Utans at Sepilok – brilliant
- Flew Sandakan to Kudat – another twin otter adventure with amazing views – stayed in a longhouse and was lucky enough to see turtles hatching on the beach and swim away, a green turtle and deserted beaches – great end to the trip!!!
- Flew back to the UK via KK.