Windfall apples make the best base, but you can experiment with quinces, crab apples, medlars and currants. Combinations such as crab apple n sage, apple n lavender flowers and redcurrant n rosemary are all great. You can add food colouring to make each combo distinctive.
- Chop up 3lb/1.35kg of fruit and boil for 30 minutes until soft, add a few sprigs of sage, lavender, mint or rosemary
- Strain through muslin resisting the urge to squeeze as it will make the jelly cloudy
- Measure the volume of the juice and add 3/4lb or 350g sugar to every 20fl oz or 570ml juice
- In a saucepan bring gently to boil dissolving the sugar, add finely chopped herbs or flowers
- Boil for 10-15 minutes until setting point is reached (test a teaspoon full on a saucer of cold water – if it sets it is ready)
- Bottle and label in jars
Another one from "Francine Raymond" in The English Garden.